Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2012

POSITIVELY FALL


by Mauverneen Blevins
Ahhh Fall! My favorite time of year. I’m not one of those people lamenting that ‘summer’s over’, it’s more a sigh of relief. Time to throw open the windows and breathe the fresh air!
 
Bittersweet
The days are warm, the nights are cool and it’s sweater weather! I love sweaters – soft, warm, cozy. You can’t say the same for a tank top. And slippers! Slipping on a pair of flip-flops can never compare to easing your feet into a pair of soft, fuzzy slippers that warm your toes.

Pumpkins

Aside from better clothes, there are a lot of things I love about Fall. Warm days when you can sit in the sun just soaking up the heat, not worrying about tan lines and sunburn.  Cool nights when you pull that down comforter up to your chin and drift off to sleep.
 
Pumpkins and gourds, foggy mornings and Halloween. These are a few of my favorite things. I wish it rhymed.
I enjoy my coffee more when there’s a chill in the air. And my soup. And my hot chocolate.
And I can bake an apple pie or a batch of cookies now that I don’t have to worry about heating up the kitchen. The extra heat feels comfortable and the smell of something baking in the oven will permeate the house and make me smile. And if the breeze is blowing just right it will make the neighbors jealous.


The leaves are just giving a hint of turning and the leaf peepers will be out in full force if the colors are good. I’ll be one of them of course. The reds of the Maples and the yellows of the Aspens create such beautiful contrast against the greens of the Evergreens. It’s an awesome time of year for photographers – professional or amateur and Fall is big business in places like the Northeast States, the Ozarks, Door County, and the Rockies and the Sierra Nevada where the Aspen grow.

I love the colors and the smells of fall - apples, mums, walnut trees and burning leaves.  And the sound of geese honking overhead as they make their way south.
 
Don’t be sad summer’s over. Look at all we’ve got to Positively look forward to!

 Autumn ‘officially’ begins at the autumnal equinox – September 22nd. There is a movement to re-designate the start of the seasons making Fall officially September, October and November. Winter would be December, January, February; Spring as March, April, May, and Summer as June, July, and August. Purists are not happy with that – feeling that the equinox dates should be kept as the start of the seasons. I’m not so sure – don’t most of us think of the seasons this way anyway? 

Somewhere a group of people will hash this out and if it does get changed, we’ll be notified. Meantime, I’m not worrying about it. I’ve got to get to the mall before that sweater sale is over!
 
Autumn on the Truckee River
As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint. However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!http://mauverneen.com
 
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment