Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Positively Looking Back

 

by Mauverneen

So long, 2015. It's been fun.
 
A toast to the year - the New and the Old
 
A new year will begin in just a couple of days and I am looking forward to some new adventures in the coming year. I don't usually make resolutions, per se, but I always have a list of things I want to accomplish, places I want to see and goals I want to achieve. Now is a good a time as any to renew that effort towards reaching those goals.

But a new year also means the end of an old one. It may have been good, it may have been not so good for some. Usually, it's a mixture. Some good, some bad. Some fun, some hard work, some adventures and some misadventures. That's life. Looking back, I thought I would see where we've been via this blog over the past twelve months.

January is my birthday month - always a good celebration with my daughters and family! Last January I went on a winter hike to Starved Rock State Park, which us where I saw this incredible ice fall. I don't  think there will be any this winter though, the weather has been far too mild. It might be a good winter to get out and look for Eagles though - it wont be so freezing cold.

 
In February I went on a group tour of a private car collection in Chicago.  I saw some rare and incredibly beautiful cars, like this red Cord. Wow. What a beauty! When I win that lotto....
 
 
March brought us our biggest and most beautiful snowfall of the winter. A pain for driving, but oh so pretty to look at.
 
Also in March I went inside a Pyramid. Not exactly a real one, but a pyramid shaped house located in Wadsworth, Illinois.  A drive lined with sphinxes leads to the house and a 3 car pyramid shaped garage. I recommend a visit if you get the chance.
 
 
 
April brought showers as it usually does, and I tried my hand at poetry with an ode to the month of April.  I don't think I did too badly.  'April is a fickle time, With violets, lilacs, dandelion...'
 

'The grass is green, the trees in bud

Let’s hope that rain won’t cause a flood'
 
 May, the month of Mothers, flowers, and spring, brought out more of the poet in me as the tulips, lilacs, lillies of the valley and the forsythia all burst forth into bloom.
 

With hues of pink and purple too

The violets play peek-a-boo
 In June I tried my hand at painting,
 
and in July I made some awesome blueberry jam and went to a baseball game where I got to see those comeback Cubs! What a fun season that was!
 
I BELIEVE  - he hit this one out of the park!
   
August saw more classic cars at the Geneva, IL Concours d'Elegance
 
more wow
September brought us a Super Moon and I was lucky enough to have a couple of short get-aways. The first was to Turkey Run State Park in Indiana for a weekend of hiking and canoeing.
 
Turkey Run State Park
 The second was a jaunt up to another neighboring state - Wisconsin - where I got to spend some time at one of my favorite places anywhere - lovely Door County, a slice of heaven.
 
The sunsets in Door County are amazing
 
 I got Witchy in October  
Witches Night Out

 
enjoyed our late fall in November
Morton Arboretum in Lisle, IL
and a tour of a fascinating historical home in Schaumburg, Il., The Schweikher-Langsdorf house.
 
Beautiful architecture with a fascinating history of renowned owners
 And that brings us full circle back to December. 
  
I still have plenty of cookies left and need to start working them off.

This Chrismas greeting from New Orleans sums up my wish for all of you in the coming year.

Happy New Year! May it bring Peace Y'all
 As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.  
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
 

  Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com
  See more photos at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-mauverneen-blevins.html 
I am always adding more!
and visit my website: http://mauverneen.com 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment