Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

POSITIVELY COLORFUL
by Mauverneen Blevins

“The best color in the whole world, is the one that looks
good, on you!” ―
Coco Chanel


Ever get asked what your favorite color is? Maybe it’s one of your ‘secret questions’ that you have to answer when you forget your password. Most people probably answer right away. It’s not supposed to be a trick question. But me? I can never quite decide.

Red Barn
I like red – tomatoes, apples, watermelon, roses and fire engines.  

Hall of Mosses
But I like green too. And there are so many shades of green – mint green, moss green, forest green, emerald green, chartreuse. Grass is green, although not necessarily greener on the other side. Trees are green – at least in spring and summer. So are avocados. And lettuce. And Kermit. Is teal green? Or is it blue?
Sunset, South Haven, MI
Orange is a nice color. A dreamsicle, a tangerine, a butterfly. Carrots and pumpkins and California poppies. Peach is just a lighter shade of orange, isn’t it?
I used to have an orange kitchen. They say the color orange stimulates the appetite. They also say living in an orange room can drive you crazy. Something to think about. Maybe orange is one of those things that’s best in small doses. An accent.

Yellow Finch
Yellow Walls Rothenburg Germany
I think yellow is pretty, especially in a soft, soothing tint. Buttercups, dandelions, lemons. I had a dress once that was the perfect shade of yellow. Even if I still had it it wouldn’t fit me anymore. sigh





Purple can be nice and comes in various shades, from eggplant to lavender. Lilacs, orchids, Irises, plums, grapes, and thistle blossoms. Aubergine is the French word for eggplant and sounds lovely and very high class. Have a little fun and use it next time you’re shopping. Ask the sales clerk if that blouse comes in ‘aubergine’. Mauve fits in there somewhere with the purples.
Purple Rose

I have mauve on my license plate. People ask if it’s my favorite color – it’s not. 


Pretty in Purple















Pink Hollyhock
I think my least favorite color is pink. My second least favorite is blue. But there are exceptions. There are definitely exceptions. Flamingos, carnations, the sky at dawn, a lake on a summer day, turquoise.
White steeple/Blue sky



Sunset - Door County, WI




Although I do like brown I wonder if anybody ever answers brown. Or black. Or white.
So, what's MY favorite color? Let me think about it.

As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint. However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!

No comments:

Post a Comment