Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A Bed, A Breakfast - and Dinner on a Rock

by Mauverneen

An inviting entry
I would be terribly remiss if I did not mention the Phoenix bed and breakfast I stayed in on my recent trip – Maricopa Manor. Advertised as a ‘private oasis in the heart of Phoenix’ it is exactly that. About one half block from a main intersection, it is in a nice neighborhood with a grocery store and at least a half dozen restaurants – all within walking distance.
Described on the website as “an urban California Spanish style bed and breakfast inn which includes the main Manor house and the adjacent transitional ranch style Dos Casas with its casita'' the original Manor house was built in 1928. A succeeding owner purchased the adjoining home in 1970 and it became a bed and breakfast in 1989. The current owners, Joan and Scott Eveland, hail from Waukesha, Wisconsin. 
A rambling home away from home
I arrived at night – again. I tend to make stops along the way when I'm on a road trip to check out whatever looks interesting, so sometimes I run late. But I had a reservation, so I wasn’t worried.

Joan let me in and showed me to my spacious suite. The inn has six rooms – all suites, each with private bath and private entrance. The bed was a king, the bathroom huge, the furnishings charming.

Chess? Coffee? What an amazing collection of National Geographic magazines!
As promised, a knock at my door in the morning let me know my breakfast had arrived. Upon check-in I was asked what time I wanted it brought to my room. Unlike most B & B’s, there is no set time, no community breakfast, no having to get dressed and presentable before your coffee.  If it’s privacy you want, this is the place. There was no vacancy, but I never heard another person.

A discreet knock on the door to let me know breakfast has arrived - in a basket 
Breakfast was wonderful! Coffee, juice, fresh fruit, muffins, and quiche. More than I could eat. Some mornings the quiche was replaced with other types of eggs, sometimes sausage or bacon was added and the muffins or sweet bread was always different. Joan went to great pains not to be repetitious. There was also a coffee maker and a small fridge – I wanted for nothing.    

Yum. No need to eat the rest of the day
I was in the library suite – very fitting. Books were everywhere. I only wished I had time to read some of them. But I was on vacation. I had plans, places to go and things to do. The tv in the sitting room did come in handy though. I did not even have to miss one episode of Downton Abbey.

A welcome sight in January for sure

As soon as I finished my first breakfast – well, what I could of it anyway – I dressed and opened the curtains. Patio doors opened to a deck overlooking a grassy lawn dotted with Palm trees and orange trees. I stepped into the morning Arizona sunshine and  tiptoed past the other rooms to check out the pool.
A waterfall flows into the pool



By now you can probably tell I was very happy with my choice of accommodations. During the week I spent there I found out just how conveniently located this place is. A hop skip and a jump to the Concours, easy drive to the freeway, museum just up the road, and no problem getting to the airport when, sadly, it was time to leave.

 
Maricopa Manor – remember the name. If you are ever in the Phoenix area, it comes highly recommended. It truly is a little gem.

Breakfast held me through most of the day, but by dinner time, I was usually starving. My friend Rick drove down from Payson to do some sightseeing with me and take me out to dinner. His choice of restaurant was outstanding. The Top Of the Rock has stunning views, particularly at night when all the lights of Phoenix and Tempe lay spread out below. Impressive, stunning, classy. There was a full moon that night, the food was excellent, my date enjoyable, and we had a bottle of champagne cooling in that fridge back at my suite. I could get used to this.


Top Of The Rock
 
A gorgeous view and a full moon - can't beat that



All photos are my own, unless otherwise credited
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com
I am always adding more!
and visit my website: http://mauverneen.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment