Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Positively Housebound

by Mauverneen


I've been watching the birds again. That's not quite true. I'm always watching the birds. I should say I've been photographing the birds again. I am an avid and prolific photographer. My excuse (if I need one) is that if I take 10 or 12 or 20 photos of something maybe I will end up with one good one.

So, with all the photos of birds I already have, I recently set up my tripod in a window and decided I needed a few more pictures of the birds that come to the feeder. Last week's weather was atrocious; below zero temps, snow, freezing rain - everyone was housebound. Even the squirrels it seems. But not the birds. I always feed my birds, but with the terrible weather, I fed them even more.

And they showed up. In droves - or should I say they flocked to the feeder. I do have a couple of actual feeders, but I shoveled the snow off of the picnic table and spread the feast. I had all the winter birds - Sparrows, Juncos, Jays, Mourning Doves, Chickadees, Cardinals, a Nuthatch, and a Woodpecker. Starlings descended on the table one day leaving no room. A hawk was very close, but if it ever came to the table, I missed it.

Mixed Company
The birds were very tolerant of each other, mingling like they were having a reunion of some sort. Maybe they just realized they needed to let each other be. In peace. Everybody was hungry and there was enough for them all.

As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com

and visit my website:  mauveonthemove.com



No comments:

Post a Comment