Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Positively Wilde



by Mauverneen
      "There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." ~ Oscar Wilde



Today is October 16. Oscar Wilde's birthday. He was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1854. Some of his more famous works are The Happy Prince, The Importance of Being Earnest, and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Dublin loves its writers, and traces of Oscar Wilde are found throughout the city. When I visited Dublin last October, one of the first stops on my sightseeing itinerary was the statue of him in Merrion Square Park. Easy to find, it was only blocks from the townhouse where I was staying.

The sculpture, created by Irish sculptor Danny Osborne, was erected in 1997. There are two pillars nearby, each with a small sculptures on top and adorned with some of Wilde's most famous quotes.

Other tributes to this Dublin born writer are found in the Dublin Writers Museum,

At the Dublin Writers Museum


and in Trinity College, which Wilde attended as a youth. The Long Room, pictured below, has several glass cases of memorabilia, such as the one this gentleman is intently perusing.
The Long Room, Trinity College, Dublin

A section of the display in Trinity College's 'Long Room'  

      It is not just Dublin that loves its writers, the whole of Ireland is proud of them. On my first night in Ireland, in a lovely room at Armorica in the town of Oranmore, this bottle of water was on my bedside table. They had no way of knowing that the Writers Museum or the Wilde statue were on my list of things to see, or that Oscar Wilde is one of my favorite writers. But it was a lovely hint of things to come.



As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com


and visit my website:  mauveonthemove.com


No comments:

Post a Comment