Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 28, 2023

A Positively Positive Tuesday

 by Mauverneen

Last week I wrote about early sound recordings - namely who were the earliest of our Presidents to be caught on audio. 

It got me thinking. Does the younger generation appreciate this? After all, they have grown up with all of it - it's taken for granted. Do they realize there was a time before video, before sound recording, before color photos?

I remember when my family got a color television set. I was in high school. It was amazing. We watched the Ed Sullivan show, as we did every Sunday night, and the next morning at school I asked my friends if they saw the Supremes in those gorgeous green gowns! One of my friends responded with "We don't have a color tv." I was surprised that any of my friends still had black and white -  I thought my family was the last to get color. We were never the first to get anything new. 
I spent the past week 'under the weather' as they say. Covid finally got me - or I guess I should say, I got it. Thankfully, mine wasn't a horrible case, but it did take the energy out of me. I spent the week on the couch, sleeping one whole day and napping a lot of the rest of the time. Sore throat, achy muscles, cough, stuffy head - I wasn't sure what I had. Each of those symptoms come with other viruses and/or infections. 

I still want my nap. But I am feeling much better! 

My couch buddies

So, today, I'm Positively grateful to be feeling better, thankful I didn't have a bad case, and happy that, at least right now, the sun is shining through my window. And if I get too bored, there is always that color tv. And it's bigger than the one we used to have.

Hope your Tuesday is Positively Positive too!

As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com

Available at Amazon.com,
 Anderson's Bookstore in Naperville, 
or request it at your favorite bookstore!





2 comments:

  1. Getting a color television was my first lesson in being sensitive to others' feelings. I was seven at the time, and we'd had color TV for nearly a year. Then my parents had a family emergency, so we stayed with friends. They did not have color television. It seemed weird to go back to it and said that aloud. I do remember pausing and wondering if they would be offended. I decided that was silly and said it. The mother was offended. I felt badly and always remembered it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I remember this - I've always wondered if my friends thought I was bragging, when it was the complete opposite. I thought everyone else already had it!

      Delete