Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

IT'S POSITIVELY RAINING

My neighbor's yard in the rain
IT'S POSITIVELY RAINING
by Mauverneen Blevins 

Rain Rain Go Away, come again another day. 
That's not something we’ve heard much of in the Midwest this summer. 
It’s been more like Rain Rain come and play, please don’t stay away.

I don’t think either mantra works. We always seem to get either too much or too little.  It was nice to have a rainy day yesterday. My garden loves it and so do I - it means I don’t have to drag out the hose! The robins love it too. They hop around out there in the wet grass (and in my garden) digging up their favorite dish – worms.

As kids we knew how to have fun in the rain – splashing through puddles and making mudpies. Every so often I’m tempted to take off my shoes and feel the mud squish between my toes. Make Mudpies? Not so much. And who doesn’t like scrunching up under the covers and falling asleep to the steady rhythm of raindrops drumming on the roof.


Raindrops on Roses

Believe it or not it’s fun to take pictures in the rain too. Taking photos on sunny days does NOT always make for the best shot. Of all the photos I’ve taken, some of my favorites were taken in rainy or cloudy conditions. When the rain obstructs the long view, go for the short one. Focus on something close at hand. Who can resist a rose or a leaf dripping rain drops?


When you’re on vacation, much as you'd like, you may not have blue sky and sunshine the entire time. Don’t let that stop you from taking pictures. A hot bright sun can wash out your photos and cast unwanted shadows on a subject if you’re not careful but an overcast day creates nice, soft, even lighting and is especially good for taking portraits outdoors.Wet streets create awesome reflections and an umbrella can make a colorful focal point in an otherwise gray photo while dark, rolling storm clouds make awesome backgrounds to your landscapes, giving your photos dramatic effect. The bright colors of flowers look more vivid and the reds and golds of autumn leaves really pop on a wet day.
  
Low hanging clouds, Wales
It's not always fun to drive in the rain, but unless it's a driving storm, it can offer opportunity. Whether sightseeing in Wisconsin or Wales during a downpour, I pulled over every chance I got, opened a window, scooted to the center of the car and from the haven of a dry interior managed to get some lovely photos! Sometimes, I even shoot through the wet windshield for an abstract feel to my picture. You never know what you might get. And after the rain, sometimes you’re blessed with an awesome rainbow.



Oregon rainbow - or two!
Umbrella through windshield
You have to protect your camera of course, but you can take pictures from a doorway or window or the inside of your car. If you are outdoors, a plastic drop cloth or umbrella would be helpful. I even have a little ‘raincoat’ for my camera – a plastic cover that fits nicely over the body and lens. The lens should NOT get wet. If you get a few drops on the lens, NEVER use a paper towel or tissue – there are special lens cleaners and a microfiber cloth is highly recommended for cleaning your lens. Better yet if you can attach a filter to the lens to protect it. If you drop the cmera in water, be it a puddle or a lake, get it to a repair shop ASAP.  That said, Go have some fun - take your camera and go play in the rain!



Rainy night in Paris







Here's a link to one of my favorite rainy songs - enjoy!

I love a rainy night
It's such a beautiful sight
I love to feel the rain
On my face

Taste the rain on my lips

-        Eddie Rabbit




As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint. However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!http://mauverneen.com

To see more of my photos go to my FineArt America galleries  http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-mauverneen-blevins.html

No comments:

Post a Comment