Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

POSITIVELY... A Good Week

by Mauverneen

What are YOU celebrating this week? The Year of the Snake? Mardi Gras? Ash Wednesday? Valentine’s Day? (which is, coincidentally, international condom day). Pick one or pick them all. If you pick them all you’re going to be pretty tired by the end of the week but at least the menu won’t get boring.

Sunday – sweet and sour something, fried rice, fortune cookies;
Tuesday – jambalaya, gumbo, bread pudding and hurricanes;
Wednesday – fish;
Thursday – a quiet, romantic dinner of prime rib, steak or maybe some upscale Italian or other fine dining experience with a glass or two of wine;
Friday – more fish. 
Lamp post, San Francisco


I was trying to decide what to write about this Positively Tuesday, what with so many holidays to choose from this week, but the only thing that came easily were my food choices. Guess we all know where my priorities lie. I’m going to feel worse by the end of this week than I do after the Christmas/New Year eating marathon.







 













Even though Ash Wednesday isn’t exactly a day of  'celebration', it is observed world wide. It’s the one day this week when you’re encouraged to underindulge, rather than the opposite.

Bourbon Street - New Orleans
Mardi Gras actually falls on Tuesday though – Fat Tuesday - and I have been in New Orleans during Mardi Gras when the streets were jammed, the parades went by, and people with go-cups screamed for beads. It’s not the best time to see that wonderful city, but it’s fun.
 
The colors of Mardi Gras

I have had ashes mark my forehead many times to remind me of my mortality and I’ve been lucky enough to have received roses and cardboard hearts filled with chocolate from my special someone.
 
Services at Notre Dame, Paris

So, if we try to sum up this week and roll it all into one, this is what we get – a new beginning, a little partying, a little culture sharing, a little self-control, a little introspection and contemplation, and a time to tell someone that we love them.
Lovers along the Seine
 Come to think of it, isn’t that how life should go? Sounds like a good week to me.

Love Locks - Paris

 
As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint. However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!

Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com
See more photos at http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-mauverneen-blevins.html
visit my website: http://mauverneen.com



No comments:

Post a Comment