Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Positively Cruising

by Mauverneen
My pick of the day

I decided to go out to a local cruise night last night, in Lockport, IL, just a few miles up the road. Seems like almost every town has them during the summer months and admittedly some are better than others, but they are always enjoyable. Lockport had quite the turn out! Held on Monday evenings, it’s a great way to prolong the weekend and take the bite out of Monday.

A great band!
 
Combined with a farmers market, food vendors (who listed a few out of the norm offerings like Pork Chops and Andouille Sausage), drinks from lemonade to margaritas and a really good band, it made for a great evening.

 
Looks like a dreamsicle - good enough to eat!
 

People crowded around the cars and the owners were for the most part friendly and happy to answer questions.  People brought chairs to sit on the lawn and listen to the band. Me? I just wanted to dance.

 
The cars and the crowds start arriving

Of course I love the cars, and was taken with all the ‘jelly bean’ colors.

 
Bubble gum pink

If you go, get there around 6 or 6:30 pm, browse the farmers market, check out the cars, and stake your spot on the lawn – oh and don’t forget to grab a bite to eat!

Banana yellow
 
If cars are your thing, August will bring us Hot August Nights in Reno, NV – the car show to end all car shows - 10 days and nights of cars and cruising. And in this area the Geneva(IL) Concours d'elegance is worth a visit. The best thing about these shows is they are all free! You can browse to your heart’s content, relive old times – yes, that ‘varoom varoom’ of those pipes took me back to my high school days at the Dog N’ Suds – or find your dream car (there are always a couple for sale).
 
Licorice red and black
 
 I noticed several groups of teens there – nice to see. I’m not sure they were interested in the cars or the band, and definitely not the Farmers Market, but it’s a great, safe place for them to socialize on a summer’s night.
 
Electric blue

Getting away from cars, the Festival of the Horse and Drum at the Kane County Fairgrounds in St. Charles, IL. is coming up on August 16 and 17. A multi-cultural event with everything horses!! Last year was the first year and the potential for this to become outstanding is there. I’ll be going back for sure!

I fell in love with this horse at last year's Festival. Hope to see him again!
 
 As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
                                                However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!

 Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com

See more of my photos at  http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-mauverneen-blevins.htmtab=artwork
JULY SPECIAL: FineArtAmerica is offering a $100 wine certificate with ANY purchase!
and visit my website: http://mauverneen.com



No comments:

Post a Comment