Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Positively HAPPY BIRTHDAY

by Mauverneen
                               

                                 To me!
 
Thank you google!


Yep, it’s that time of year again – my birthday. Contrary to how a lot of people feel about their birthdays, I actually like mine. I don’t mind having them. As they say – it’s better than the alternative.

Not sure what I’m going to do today – I may stay in bed all day and drink champagne, eat cake, and read a book. It’s my day.

I celebrated on Sunday with my family (3 daughters, son-in-law, mom and an aunt). I decided I wanted to cook Enchiladas, so everyone brought something to contribute to dinner and it worked out nicely. There were even Mango Margaritas. My youngest daughter made an awesome pineapple cake with cream cheese frosting that perfectly complemented the spicy dinner. It’s not a birthday without cake.  


 

And there were presents. Even my dog got me a present - a pair of slipper socks to make up for the ones he chewed beyond repair. But I think he had a little help with the shopping.

 


Much as I love the presents, they are secondary. What I enjoy most is the fact that my family makes the time to come and see me – to spend some time with me. To celebrate me! I cherish my time with them above all else.

 


I know I am not the only person in the world with a birthday of January 13th; but it’s still my day. My day to play, or to work, or to drink champagne for breakfast and wear my tiara all day.  Oddly enough I have a distant cousin on the other side of the world with the same birthdate. Happy Birthday Michal!

 


I did have a run a few years back though where I did actually hate to see my birthday roll around. It seems there was either a death or a funeral or something really bad that happened on that day. I was certainly relieved when that streak ended. Now I am hoping for the opposite – when I come into money on my birthday. Big money. Or I win a free trip, or sign a book contract. Really good stuff.
 


Even if that doesn’t happen, I will settle into my bed tonight and be grateful I have made it another year. Tomorrow is a new year, another chance. But today? Today I had cake.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment