Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Positively Seeing Ourselves

by Mauverneen
      We don’t see things the way they are. We see them the way WE are - Talmud.


  

      I found this quote the other day and it made me think. The Talmud is an ancient text, central to Jewish life and law. We don’t see things the way they are. We see them the way WE are. An ancient bit of philosophy, an ancient piece of advice that couldn't be more appropriate for today's world.

      How true. Our individual outlook on life, our attitude, creates our world. We each see the world through a distorted lens - a lens of our own creation. A timid, fearful person, afraid of their own shadow sees the world as a scary place. A confident, gregarious individual can't wait to get out there and make new friends. A loving person sees the good in everyone while a hateful person will view everyone as worthy only of disdain, to be looked down on.
      We are what we think. We don’t see things the way they are. We see them the way WE are.
      I like this quote. I will try to remember it. I would bet that sometimes, when I may view a person or an incident unkindly, or with distrust, or with a lack of generosity, if I remember We don’t see things the way they are. We see them the way WE are, it will change everything.
      And those Chicago Cubbies continue to bring a smile to my face and joy to my heart. Did you happen to see the video of them at the White House? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpFyY9i06bM   In this week of ever more divisive, worrisome news, we had 30 minutes of fun and laughter. People not taking themselves seriously, poking fun at themselves and each other, but with the utmost respect. That is what we need to show a little more of to each other I think - respect. 
      We don’t see things the way they are. We see them the way WE are.   

      Have a Positively wonderful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment