Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Positively Hopeful

 by Mauverneen

Hope is the feeling we have that the feeling we have is not permanent."- Mignon McLaughlin



I came across this quote just this morning. How apropos! We've been shut down and locked in going on our third year with Covid and it's variants and we all wonder "Will it ever end?" We know it will, we hope it will, but - will it? I like the quote because it describes hope perfectly. Especially these days. I mean, who wants to feel like this another week, let alone permanently?


Hope is what always gets us through our darkest times. You may say prayer, but isn't that what prayer is? Hope? Hope that a prayer will be answered. Hope that whatever God you pray to will hear you.


I did not know who Mignon McLaughlin was, so I looked her up. She had quite the career. She grew up to become an author, journalist, and a writer of short stories, writing for Redbook, Cosmopolitan and other women's magazines. She also co-wrote a play with her husband, an editor at Time magazine, that had a short run on Broadway. She also worked at Vogue and Glamour magazines during her career. She was fond of aphorisms, such as the above quote, and published three separate books of them. 


She must have been a great believer in hope. How else could she have accomplished so much? I know it takes hard work and determination, but through it all, no matter how determined one is or how hard one works, without hope, you just give up. 


I also like this quote of hers: "Our strength is often composed of the weakness that we're damned if we're going to show". It kind of goes hand in hand with hope. 



As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com

                           


.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment