Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Positively Women!

 by Mauverneen

Today is International Women's Day. " A global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. The day also marks a call to action for accelerating women's equality."

There have been some amazing women in the course of history - generally they were women who broke the gender barriers; in science (Marie Curie), politics (Jeannette Rankin) and exploration (Amelia Earhart). And there were those who just broke barriers (Rosa Parks). 

Today I think most of us find it mind-boggling that women were treated as less than men, that they weren't considered able to think logically, govern, drive, vote, inherit, and on and on. Women writers published using men's names. To be fair, there is an International Men's Day in November. And great accomplishments are great accomplishments and should be recognized. 

Always interested in art and fashion, after high school I applied for a job at a local department store, in the advertising department. (Back then everything was done by hand - drawing, lettering, cut and paste...) I had taken a course in Chicago, riding the bus back and forth every day, so I felt qualified for this very low level position, but full of confidence that I could do it and learn along the way. Apparently, they felt I had some merit as I did get an interview. However, at the end of that interview I was asked if I had a boyfriend. I did and admitted it. I was then told that I would probably get engaged, get married, get pregnant, and have to stay home and raise my family. Final verdict: sorry, but no job. I guess some teenage boy got the job. I hope he did well for himself.

I'm not bitter about it, but it does hit me how times have changed. If anyone would be told that today, there would probably be a lawsuit for discrimination and I would end up owning the store. 

In the end, I did get married and raise a family. But it was by choice. MY choice. I CHOSE to be a stay-at-home mom and looking back I have to say it was the best job I ever had! 

So today, we should be proud of how women have progressed. We should ALL be proud. And today, I think I'll do something I usually only do on my birthday - I think I'll wear my tiara.



A
s always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com



No comments:

Post a Comment