Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Positively Blue

 by Mauverneen

Every morning, when I feed the birds, I put out a total of six peanuts (in the shell) for the Blue Jays. Sometimes, if the peanut has the classic "Mr. Peanut" shape, with a very small 'waist', I will break it in half. I only do that if I'm sure the nut will not fall out of the shell. The Blue Jays love the peanuts. And I like watching them crack open those shells.

I have to watch the show through the window though. If I'm outside, they swoop on down and right back up without stopping. If I turn my back, the peanuts are gone in a flash. So mostly I watch through a window. 

Sometimes they swoop on down and grab a nut on the fly. Other times they pick one up, drop it, pick up  another, and sometimes go back to the first one. I think they're weighing them. They want the best value for their effort. Some effort. Free peanuts. I have also seen them take a small one, get it way back in their throat and grab another. Greedy!

And sometimes, a Jay will come down right after the last one has been plucked from the dish. He looks a little confused.

 If he would let me I'd give him one. But then I'd probably have them all flocking me like a scene from 'The Birds'. If I was going to be scared of a bird, it would probably be a Blue Jay. They are fierce looking, with sharp beaks. But they're a smart bird. They show up every morning, waiting. When the peanuts are gone they go to the feeder like the other birds. 


As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com






No comments:

Post a Comment