Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Positively Pushy

 by Mauverneen

I took my car in for an oil change and almost brought home a new car. Almost.

There's nothing to do but wait while the oil gets changed, so I wandered around the showroom. Not really looking at anything, just passing time. When the salesman first approached me and asked what I was looking for, I told him. Nothing. I'm just waiting for an oil change. Well, persistence was his middle name. He wanted me to sit at his desk - I stood. 

He moved from one topic to another and eventually, he went out to check the miles on my car as I really had no idea, except it was low. Don't forget - for about two years I hardly pulled it out of the garage except to go for groceries. Covid - remember? He ended up running the numbers for me and I could see it was a good deal. I even haggled. Except I don't really want a new car. Or do I? 

My car even wore a mask!

He was honest with me about one thing - the dealers are having a hard time getting new cars. The lot was practically empty. A good used car will sell quickly. But I still didn't sit down. In the end I took the quote home with me and promised to think about it. I'm still thinking. 

I'm happy with my car. It's five years old, and has low miles. Sure, a new car is tempting, but five more years of payments? I have about five months left on this one. New is nice, but there are still pros and cons. I'm sure that salesman makes lots of sales with his persistence. But I wonder if his customers are happy or do a lot of them have buyers remorse? 

After I left the dealership I stopped at a furniture store. I'm looking around for a chair to watch tv in. I'm trying to replace one I absolutely despise and is waaaay older than my car. The saleswoman was waiting at the door. She followed me around like she expected me to slip a recliner into my purse. 

I went home with nothing new except the oil in my car. I really don't like pushy.

My dog likes the chair - it is comfy, but there's not room for both of us!

As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com


2 comments:

  1. I was a furniture salesman for 6 months at an Oakbrook Mall store. Soft sell is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. Pushy Salespeople only PUSH the potential buyer away.

    ReplyDelete