Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Positively Elected

 by Mauverneen

I do NOT want to get into politics here. And I won't. But I do want to acknowledge that today there are elections. So go vote. 


It's trite to say it is a privilege, but it is.  It is one of the best expressions of freedom we have. Just think about how life would be if that were taken away - if we had no vote, if we had no voice. In some places, if you do raise that voice, you can get thrown into a cell, or shot. 

So vote, and allow others their vote. We may disagree but so what? The right to vote was a hard fought battle, from the time this country asserted independence, through suffrage, through racial suppresion. I remember my grandmother, an immigrant to this country, being on the phone before election day, coordinating rides to the polls. Not many women drove back then, so someone was there to pick them up and take them to the polls. Immigrants - they knew the value of their vote. And they were proud to do it. 

So, vote by mail, vote early, or vote on election day. Just Vote. And don't ever take it for granted.    
                                            
As always, words and photos are my own, and require permission to reprint.
However, feel free to share the blog in it's entirety. In fact, I encourage it!
Interested in photo prints? Contact me! maureenblevins@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment